Monday, February 02, 2004

Caught the Super Bowl yesterday. It was pretty good. Surprisingly, the game was better than the commercials. Seems like the Pats are all about winning by a field goal in the closing seconds (for those keeping track at home, that's twice they've won Super Bowls like that in the past 3 years.) In the beginning, I wasn't really rooting for either team, and that's kinda nice because you can appreciate the good plays on both sides and there's no anxiety about your team losing. In the end, however, I found myself rooting for Carolina. For the dumbest reason. Sony has had 1 player from each of the Super Bowl teams play against each other in Sony's NFL GameBreaker game a few days before the Super Bowl every year. And in the 8 years they've been doing it, the team that won the video game, won the Super Bowl. This year, according to the video game, the Panthers were supposed to win. They didn't. I guess it's a good thing though, since Sony's game sucks anyway.

And on a competely different note, the CD of the week has been a compilation of 80's music. Most of the songs I chose for the CD were picked not because I really liked them, but because they were songs that I kinda knew, but not really. For instance, "Mr. Roboto." It's a song I've 'heard' but not really 'heard heard.' A song from years ago, that I'm familiar with, but I was too young to really know wtf the song was about. Well, as it turns out, it's a really stupid song. Way pop-ier than I remember. However, it did envoke some images that were pleasant. It made me think of those 70's paintings of the "future" where they'd be like a robot with human-ish facial features set against a star filled sky and like some radiant star giving off an eerie glow. Kind of like the original Star Wars movie poster where Luke all like, "Yeah! Nothing like thrusting this lightsaber into the air with this hot chick with a gun next to me and like some ominous black faced robot looking guy looking over us." Either that, or the Bride of Pinbot pinball game. And those images, in turn, made me think of playing Tron at the arcade. Which made me think of arcades in the early 80's in general, and that's a good thing. So, Mr. Roboto, I salute you! Or more appropriately, "Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto!"

No comments: